The world is getting too small for both an Us and a Them. Us and Them have
become co-dependent, intertwined, fixed to one another. We have no
separate fates, but are bound together in one. And our fear of
one another is the only thing capable of our undoing.
- Sam Killermann
To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.
- Nelson Mandela, South African civil rights activist
If someone needs to express their gender in a way that is different, that is okay. They don’t deserve to be victims of violence. If you are uncomfortable with it, then you need to look at yourself.
- Laverne Cox, American actress
It means a great deal to those who are oppressed to know that they are not alone. Never let anyone tell you that what you are doing is insignificant.
- Desmond Tutu, South African civil rights activist
Peace does not just mean putting an end to violence or war, but to all other factors that threaten peace, such as discrimination, such as inequality, poverty.
- Aung San Suu Kyi, Burmese politician and activist and Amnesty International Ambassador of Conscience
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- Martin Luther King, African-American civil rights activist
The candle burns not for us, but for all those whom we failed to rescue from prison, who were shot on the way to prison, who were tortured, who were kidnapped, who ‘disappeared’. That’s what the candle is for.
- Peter Benenson, founder of Amnesty International
Peace can only last where human rights are respected, where the people are fed, and where individuals and nations are free.
- 14th Dalai Lama
You cannot kill the truth. You cannot kill justice. You cannot kill what we are fighting for.
- Jean Dominique, Haitian democracy activist
We are way more powerful when we turn to each other and not on each other, when we celebrate our diversity… and together tear down the mighty walls of injustice.
- Cynthia McKinney, American politician and activist
A political struggle that does not have women at the heart of it, above it, below it, and within it is no struggle at all.
- Arundhati Roy, Indian author
There can be no peace without justice and respect for human rights.
- Irene Khan, Bangladeshi lawyer and former Secretary General of Amnesty International
Freedom is never granted; it is won. Justice is never given; it is exacted.
- A. Philip Randolph, African-American civil rights campaigner
Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don’t give up the fight.
- Bob Marley, Jamaican singer
No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.
- Robin Williams, American comedian